Written By: Mike Brooks
I don’t know about you, but I’m sick and tired of hearing about how bad the economy is. The truth is, many parts of the economy have stabilized and many sectors are on the rise. In fact, I’m excited about the Economic Recovery that is happening right at this very moment.
Haven’t heard about it yet? Perhaps you’re listening to the wrong news stations, or hanging around with the naysayers at your office, or still looking for excuses for your performance. Regardless, the economy IS turning around and the Top 20% are talking it up, driving the enthusiasm and writing more and more business because of it. How about you?
Are you still:
* Listening to the negative news in the morning and arriving at work defeated before you even pick up the phone?
* Convinced that the economy has to fully recover before you can make your quotas?
* Siding with your prospects when they tell you they can’t afford it and justifying it when you don’t make sales?
* Getting on the phone with an already defeated attitude dreaming of Friday or of another job?
If so, then it’s no wonder you’re not picking up on the signs of the economic recovery that is taking place right now. On the other hand, if you’re ready to take advantage of it before your competition does and you’re ready to contribute to and so start being part of the recovery, then here are 5 things you can start doing today to capitalize on it:
1) Look for the evidence of Economic Recovery and talk it up. Again, it’s there if you look for it. Most news programs (print, radio and the internet) report bad news because it sells. However, there are plenty of sources that report the good news as well. Find them, read them, and then spread the word.
The economy doesn’t have a mind of its own – it has our mind. By concentrating on the recovery already taking place, you’ll increase it. Start today.
2) Ask your prospects and clients for the Good News. It’s hard to turn somebody’s attitude around, but one way to counter your prospect’s negativity is to ask them for the good news. There always is some if you’ll just help them find it. Try:
“I totally understand __________. You know I heard some good news about the economic turnaround.” (Tell them what you’ve heard and then say:) “What good news have you heard?”
Then reinforce what they tell you and keep selling!
3) Tell a recovery story: I know you hear about client’s successes all the time (if you don’t, then you need to begin asking for them!!). Gather two or three successful stories and be quick to share them with your current prospects and clients. Show them how they are in a similar situation and how they can succeed as well.
Remember, that’s what your clients want to hear from you (solutions) and if you’re ready with other client’s success stories, they’ll be easier to influence and sell.
4) Practice perfection. Those of you who know me know how big I am on practicing perfection. Remember, if you’re using poor sales techniques including weak openings, not qualifying prospects, etc., then you’ll have no chance regardless what is happening in the economy.
Your best bet is to go back to basics and begin using your scripts! I’m sure you’ve got them, why aren’t you using them? If you’re still winging it, God help you.
Another great option is to invest $17 in my book, “The Real Secrets of the Top 20%” which you can get on Amazon.com right now. If you’re not sure you need it, go read the 20, 5-Star reviews and see for yourself. Bottom line – if you’re not doing something to get better, then you won’t get better.
5) Write up and begin using an affirmation to imprint the performance and results you really want. I’ll tell you right now, most sales reps (80%) have horrible, negative self-talk, and this, more than any single thing, affects their results. Ask yourself: what do you say to yourself after you miss a sale or get brushed off on the phone?
Take some time right now, and develop some affirmations and begin using them to replace your negative self-talk. There are many books on the market that will show you how to do this (including the last chapter of my book), but which ever you choose, do it today.
There you have it – five proven ways to contribute to and take advantage of the economic recovery that is happening right now. Don’t wait for the negative news stations to finally get on board – all the good sales will be long gone by then…
Mike Brooks is the founder of Mr. Inside Sales, a North Carolina based inside…
Join more than 360,000 professionals who get our weekly newsletter.
No Related Articles
Self-paced courses from the
world's top sales experts
Live, interactive instruction in small
groups with master trainers
One-to-one personalized coaching
focused on your unique situation